Be Part of the US Border Patrol
Check if You Qualify for the Role
In order to join Border Patrol:
• You must be under 40 years of age. The limit may be relaxed in case you have Federal Law enforcement experience.
• You must be a citizen of the US
• You must be residing in the US
• You must have a valid state’s driving license
• You must also pass a number of tests including background investigation, medical investigation, fitness test and drug test to name a few
• You must pass the urine test
• You must appear and clear the oral interview
• Physical conditions including vision, speech and hearing ability is also considered while making a selection
A number of cases might lead you to be ineligible for the post and include:
• Arrests in the past
• Past job dismissal
• Financial issues
• Addiction to alcohol
• Illegal use of drugs
The Working Conditions
The working conditions of the job might not be easy for all. However, if you like firearms and relish working in the natural environment, this might be the perfect alternate for you. The working hours is not fixed and you may need to work for long duration including the weekends and holidays. You might also need to work alone, operating different vehicle types. Weather might go bad at times while you are at work and dangerous chases are common.
Experience plays a major role while you are looking to make a career in the field. However, if you do not have relevant experience, you must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice. For better upgrades and pay package, you can always opt to get a Master’s Degree in Criminal justice as well.
The starting salary of the field ranges from $33,000 to $49,000 and increases with experience. There are basically three pay grades which are based on your education qualification and experience level. These are GL 5, GL 7 and GL 9. Here is the grade wise breakdown:
• GL 5: $33,000 to 41,000
• GL 7: $38,000 to 49,000
• GL 9: $42,000 to 55,000